Computer science is the study of processing and managing information using algorithmic processes and computational machines. Computer science combines logic, mathematics, and science to control computers. Computer scientists design, develop, and engineer new software to solve computing problems and introduce new ways of using technology.
Computer Science Topics
Computer Science topics range from theoretical to practical fields, including but not limited to:
- Theory and Algorithms: Formulating solutions to logical and mathematical problems
- Artificial Intelligence: Teaching computers to think and learn (e.g., machine learning, natural language processing)
- Computer Architecture: Designing and building computers
- Computer Graphics: Processing and displaying images and videos on computers
- Computer Networks: Connecting computers together
- Computer Security: Ensuring safety and security of computers and data
- Databases: Storing and retrieving data
- Operating Systems: Software that is built on top of hardware to support applications and programs
- Programming Languages: Developing and studying computer languages
- Robotics: Designing and building robots
- Software Engineering: Modeling and defining ways to write and test programs
Studying Computer Science
Computer science is the art of analyzing real-world problems, designing computer-based solutions for those problems, and instructing the computer to carry out the solutions subject to inputs and constraints. As a computer science student, you will learn about:
- basics of computers and computational thinking,
- programming general-purpose computers,
- designing software systems that meet the users’ needs,
- developing systems that operate and manage computers and communication platforms, and
- developing intelligent capabilities that enable decision making by computers.
To achieve those learning goals, computer science students take a variety of courses offered by the Department of Computer Science at Kuwait University. Students are exposed to state-of-the art material, learn about strong and reliable programming platforms, develop a deep understanding of systems software, and develop the skills for design and implementation of various computer science applications.
When you are awarded a degree in computer science, you can apply for jobs at government agencies, ministries, the oil sector, banks, telecommunications companies, and small and medium enterprises (startups). The growing demand for computer science professionals in Kuwait creates an unprecedented opportunity for our graduates to find satisfactory jobs with highly desired career paths. Our graduates mostly work as software engineers, database engineers, application programmers, and system administrators.